Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Song of Solomon

I had never read Song of Solomon before. I love it though! I had enjoyed the play that one group in our class had put on that I figured I should read it. I knew what my paper was going to be without having read Song of Solomon anyway. There was enough material within the first few books of the bible that I wasn't in desperate need of material from S.O.S. (my abbreviation.) However, the best thing about this book was that it showed a softer more sensual side that I think more people can relate to. It seems like everyone longs to be talked to in a way that makes them feel special and unique, but the books of the bible I had read before were harsh and critical. Now everything has it's place and I'm not sayin' I don't need to be told what to do every once in awhile, but not ever other sentence! Makes a person feel like they don't have free will anymore. Am I right or am I on my soapbox again? The words that permiate through S.O.S. fills the soul with warmth and strength. Now I know strength sounds a little weird here, but I truly believe that S.O.S. gives strength to the people who read it and absorb it, just like all those inspirational movies (ie the blind side). How? Think about it. What person isn't better off when they hear or read words like "Take me away with you-let us hurry!" Those words have power all their own. The fact that someone would be willing to go away with their friend or lover without any questions asked is a huge trust element. The fact that a person would allow another to trust them that much is another trust element. If a person could believe those words as much as the writer wants them to then they will be more inclined to trust and care; both of which make a person strong. Character is built up through the words in S.O.S. This book should be read by everyone, just so they can feel something more than "the real world." Besides, who doesn't love a little romance?

No comments:

Post a Comment