Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Moses


Moses has always been one of my favorite characters in the bible. I don't know if it's because he gets to part the red sea or if it's because he gets to free his people from Pharoah, or if it's because he gets to hear God's voice. I know other characters in the bible get to hear God's voice too, but Moses gets to be a hero when he hears God. I'm jealous. Maybe I'm not paying attention to God and that's why I don't get to hear him, maybe I'm so bad that I don't deserve to hear him, or maybe he just hasn't said anything to me yet. I know that we were supposed to be reading the bible as a piece of literature and not necessarily as a book of faith. I'm not programmed that way though. I have some very strong convictions and some very major flaws when it comes to the bible. I feel that Moses embodies both these characteristics too, but mainly that he can overcome any doubt he has about God. Maybe that's the real reason I like Moses so much. He was able to do what I haven't been able to accomplish. I, more than anything, want to leave behind something for my family to be proud of me about; whether it be kids, a career where I made a difference, or a legacy of some other kind. Moses is immortalized by those thin white pages of the bible. The whole Jewish community can be proud of him, they can relate to him, they can cheer him on still. I feel like I've been a failure for most my life. The biggest thing I've ever done was take care of people. I still do that. I work at the hospital and as much fun as that is, I don't feel it's rewarding enough. I don't feel like I really make a difference in anyone's life. I'm sure Moses thought he could have done better or made quicker, smarter decisions that lead him to get his people into the promised land without wandering the desert for 40 years, but that still doesn't take away all the good he accomplished. Then again, maybe it really was the parting of the red sea that made Moses so much fun for me! Here's a little cartoon for some laughs!

No comments:

Post a Comment