Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Esther

The book of Esther is my mom's least favorite book of the bible. I don't agree with her on this, but I'm not sure I'd say it's near the top 10 for me either. It was super fun to do the play about it and all, but the overall story is one that I can't say I really agree with. Why does she have to prostitute herself out to save the Jews? Really? That's what God's plan was? Somehow I find that totally ridiculous! I'm damn sure God could have come up with a better plan to save the Jews other than seducing a king. I know Morticai had a lot to do with the decision to go forward with the plan, but now this story is honored as one of the greatest contributions that women have made to the Jewish people. I find it disturbing that a tale about trickery, sex, and hatred for a nation can be justified as something wonderful. Then again most prize winning novels would be considered to fall into one of these groups. What a pity. What I'm unclear about though, in the book of Esther, is what happens to the queen when king crankypants isn't happy with her not coming to his side when he so commands? I don't know why it bothers me so much to know what happens to this queen, but it really bothers me. She is treated like a nothing character, but all that happens with Esther becoming queen after her and all that, is only doable because the first queen ticks off the king. Doesn't this bother anyone else? It's so frustrating reading stories where the pivitol reasoning for something and the character who causes the situation to happen don't get a fair write off. There's just nothing. NOTHING! That makes no sense to me. I mean at least banish her off to some far away kingdom or have her beheaded or make her a slave or something, but don't just forget to finish her story. I still think she has a big part in this story and I want an ending for the first queen. Hmmm, maybe it should end with her being beheaded...more King Henry VIII style right?

No comments:

Post a Comment