Monday, September 7, 2009

P & J writers

As I read the first Chapter in Genesis I was looking for the "P" writer that we had discussed in class. I can see the order of things as if a priestly figure was talking and I can see how matter of factly the story goes. Because it is ordered in such a way that it acts as a list almost, I believe the first story to be easier to follow. It's logical, in the ordering of events. The second story does sound like a completely different author is being read. The "J" writer is more colorful, vivid, and entertaining in their account of creation. The story is one that makes a person more eager to read on, but the imagination has to be used more in this story. I'm all for that, but some people might not like having to think outside the box. The "J" writer moves events and is not specific as to what times or days things are being completed. The difference between the stories of Adam and Eve, to me, are not so far from each other that I would have noticed right away, without the lecture from Thursday's class. The "J" writer goes into more detail in how Eve was created, but the "P" writer, to me, makes Adam and Eve sound like they were created to help each other, just as the "J" writer indicates. Both stories are good, they express what is being done in a part of history so that anyone can follow them. Depending on what a person can relate to more, each story has it's advantages and disadvantages. Of course, they are both up to personal choice in which is more believable as well. I like the imagery of the second story better because it's a clear picture and more discriptive. The first story, however, is a step-by-step process that makes for an easy read in my opinion. The styles of writing are very apparent though, something I would not have caught onto as quickly if I had not been introduced to the "P" and "J" writers.

No comments:

Post a Comment