Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Genesis-It's so wordy!

So I have been reading Genesis and although I thought I was bored, I realized I really wasn't bored at all. However, I am having a very hard time getting into it because I can't pronounce half the names. Like, Hagar? I'm sure it's spelled most likely how it sounds, but then we go on to Sarai and so on. Those two are probably the easiest ones out of the hard choices, but even they stump me. Not that I was ever really into names or anything, but it just makes it feel like I have to read 4,000 more words than there really are in each chapter. I have found some interesting stuff so far, like the cherubim and sword on fire thingy. That was interesting. I've always just thought of Michael, the Angel who watches over Satan and hell, to be the one with a flaming sword, but the sweet cherubim that most people think of sounds like a good new twist on the same old Valentine's ideals.
I have found the wording to be redundant, as was discussed in our first couple meetings in class, but it's even more apparent now just how redundant everything is because, of course, my eyes are more apt to see what I'm told about. That's been a bit of a pain. I've had to re-read so many names in the first few chapters of Genesis now that if I didn't have this blog to do all semester I probably would have stopped reading already.
I do like the idea of trying to read the bible all the way through in this semester. At first I thought it was completely nuts, but now that I'm getting into the imagery and words of the text I'm beginning to find it more interesting. Like how some verses are written more as poetry while others are written as a story broken up into sections. It seems easier for me and faster for me to read the poetry like verses because they seem to fly by, there are less words or something that seem to move the text along. Weird I know, because the punctuation would make one think there would be more stops, pauses, and breathes that would slow one down, but it works better for me. So I guess, surprisingly enough, I'm learning more about how I learn doing this than I am necessarily about the bible. HMMM, interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment